Thursday, December 19, 2013

Put a Bird on it! Crochet Bird Pattern

I was looking for a quick ornament to make for my coworkers. I found this bird on Pinterest, but I could not find a pattern for it...

Crochet a Little

Definitely giving credit to Crochet a Little for making this and other great crochet works! She also has a Facebook page. (I know I am assuming that this blogger/crocheter is a lady. I know there are men who crochet too!)

Anywho, I looked at this bird, and I tried to figure out the pattern on my own. I always wanted to look at something and make a replica. This time, I have done it!

Here are my best looking birds. 

The first few looked like something else...

The pattern still has some kinks to fix, but this is what I did:

Hook size: H (5.0 mm)

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
st = stitch
dc = double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
* = repeat sequence
dc2tog = [Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop, yarn over, draw through 2 loops] 2 times, yarn over, draw through all loops on hook. Video.
sc = single crochet

Do a magic circle. If unsure of how to do this, watch this video. Or, you can chain 3 and slip stitch to make a circle. 

Round 1: 2 dc in the circle. Ch 3 and sl st to first chain to make the beak. Continue with 10 more dc in the circle. Sl st to first dc. 12 dc total.
Round 2: Turn project. Chain 2. 2 dc in ch space and the next 2 dcs. This makes the neck. 7 dc total (including chain).
Round 3: Turn. Chain 2 (chain counts as dc). 1 dc in the same ch space. *Ch 1. 1 dc in ch space between the dc.* Repeat * sequence 4 times total. 2 dc in last st. 8 dc total.
Round 4: Turn. Chain 2. Dc2tog (2dc decreases to 1). *Ch 1. 1 dc in ch space between the dc.* Repeat * sequence 4 times total. Dc2tog the last 2 dc st. 6 dc total.

Before going to the next round, you need to make the feet. 
Ch 4. Sc in the 2nd ch from hook, and 1 sc in each ch space. Sl st to the ch space. 3 sc total.

Round 5: Chain 2. Dc2tog (you may have to finish the stitch in the chain space). *Ch 1. 1 dc in ch space between the dc.* Repeat * sequence 2 times total. Dc2tog. 4 dc total.

Now to make the tail:
Ch 2. Dc in the next 2 ch st.
Turn. Ch 2. Dc2tog.
Turn. Ch 2. Dc in ch space.
Ch 1 and pull to tighten. Cut yarn and sew end into work.

AND for your viewing pleasure, while you are making the birds:

I shared this blog post on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...