Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ribbed Stripe Scarf pattern

I showed a picture of a scarf I was making on blog hop #37. But this scarf had been promised to be made before Christmas 2013. 3 months later, and I made the time to finish it this week.
The finished scarf is about 4' 4" long. It's 25 dc across and 117 rows. He wanted a scarf long enough to wrap around his neck a few times.

He was laughing because he has to be the model. He's usually behind the camera.
The scarf was made to match the hat I made for him the year before (pattern from Eating Out Loud). I modified this hat, making the length a little shorter. I also had to crochet with two strands because it was thinner than regular yarn.

This yarn is the Gala Mix Fiber yarns from Big Lots. I bought 4 skeins of this yarn a few years ago. I don't know what colorway or what brand it is. 

The black yarn I made the scarf with was also an anonymous yarn, I think I bought from the thrift store. This is definitely a scrap yarn or stash buster scarf.

Now for the pattern. It's very easy to make this, just make one row of black and the next row with black + color yarn.

You want to use the back loop of the double crochet. (see video below for examples of front and back loop crochet)



It's easier to see the stitch in the mixed yarn row.


PATTERN

Chain 27 with black yarn.

Row 1 (black): Double crochet on the third chain from hook. Double crochet to end. [25 dc]

Row 2 (mixed): Chain 2, looping in mixed yarn. Double crochet 25, looping the mixed yarn into the row. [25 dc]

Chain 2, continue with Row 2 until you get 117 rows or the length that you desire.

To change from one color row to mixed strands:

Once you get to the end of the mixed yarn row, you will have 2 yarns. To hide the mixed yarn, finish the last dc of the mixed row with black only. Chain 2 with black, so it should look like this:
Continue with the next row of black yarn, carrying the mixed yarn and crocheting the stitches. 


You will end up in the same position, with two strands at the end of the row. To get back into the mixed row, complete the last double crochet pulling in the mixed yarn, chain 2 and continue with the new row.


~ Sara

I linked this blog post to:
Love Bakes Good Cakes Epic Mommy Adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...