Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Crochet wire wrap bracelets

A photo posted by Sara Silva (@silvercchile) on

I always wanted to make crochet wire jewelry. I love crafts that can be used in so many different ways. I have been looking for a better tutorial online, but I could never find something that gave all the information I was looking for. Here are some questions that I had.

What kind of wire should I use?
This is one of the most important questions. I had difficulty finding something in print, but there are some good videos online that tell you what types are good for crocheting.

Non-tarnish wire
First you want to look for a non-tarnish wire. The first wire I bought was for plastic flower arrangements. I couldn't us it because it was too think and smelled metal.

Gauge and mm wire
The size was also difficult for me to figure out. I was at Walmart when I had the desire to start looking at crochet wire jewelry. It was difficult to look for the right size on my phone. Now that i'm looking on the computer, I found better information.
There are two types of sizes: gauge and millimeters (mm). The higher the gauge, the smaller the thickness of the wire in mm. A few blogs I read suggest choosing between size 22-26 gauge. You could go higher than 26, but depending on what you are making with the wire, it might not be strong enough. (Here's a convenient gauge/mm conversion chart from Fire Mountain Gems.) You could even mix two wires together to make a stronger band.

How much wire do I need?
To make the two wrap wire bracelets I made, I used almost the whole package of wire. The suggestion that I heard from some of the videos that I watched, is to string as many beads as the length that you want the necklace/bracelet to be. I originally wanted to make this a 3 strand necklace, but I realized I didn't have enough wire and enough beads. It might have been a better idea to space my beads out more, but I liked the overall look of the beads. 

What crochet stitches can you use?
I've seen wire crochet jewelry using all types of crochet stitches. For my bracelets, I used the simple chain stitch. But you can use single crochet, half-double and double crochet, and I saw a pattern using tunisian crochet!

I wish my phone could take clearer close-up photos! But these will have to do for now. At least you can see the colors.















I was featured on:
 Great Blog Train


I shared this blog post on: 

Happiness is Homemade Link Party
The Linky Ladies Community Link Party
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday Link Party
Sundays Down Under Link Party
CraftyAllie

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...