Thursday, April 17, 2014

Crochet Easter Baskets made with Sisal and Jute Twine

I love making crochet items with materials other than yarn. I bought rope from my local home depot to see if I can make something out of it. After an attempt at making a belt failed, I threw it in the back corner of my closet. But every Easter season, I get the feeling to make baskets. I always wanted to make baskets, but the rope I bought was a little too thick.

These baskets are made from twine. I bought a ball of sisal twine last year at the Dollar Tree, so I attempted to make this Easy Basket pattern by Crochet Spot:




It's cute, but it's smaller than what I wanted to make. It's almost the size of a coffee mug (including the handle). The jute twine didn't want to stay in place, so there were a lot of bends and dips.

I tried another basket pattern from Jam Made Crochet. This pattern came out better, and it was a good size.



I found this jute twine again at the Dollar Tree, in the Hardware section. For some reason, the Dollar Tree wasn't selling the sisal twine I found a few months before. I did like how they had green and brown twine. I didn't buy any cotton twine though. I added them in the picture to remind myself to buy some next time!


This twine smells like oil when you first open it up. But it's a great material for making baskets. It's almost like hemp. So whenever you need something made out of hemp, but you don't have the money to buy a small roll (seriously, hemp is expensive), you can always try jute twine.


Since the jute twine is not as sturdy as the sisal twine, I used sisal twine at the base and jute twine for the sides. I'm really happy with the results.



Another basket I want to try is the Shell Stitch Easter Basket from My Hobby Is Crochet. I might even try the cotton twine next time and dye the twine.

I shared this blog post on:
Party Button smallInspire Me Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...