Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Going Natural - Sulfate-free, Baking soda and Apple Cider Vinegar

I've been on the hunt for a better hair regimen for a few years now. I wrote about my new hair adventure almost 2 years ago.


The Final Hair Change - For Now

I stopped making changes to my hair after that experience. I could never get the texture back that I was used to. I usually let my hair air dry, but it would always have this dry texture. 

I am back to my natural dark hair color now, grey hairs and all. It took a year and a half to grow out the dried colored hair. My hair was getting better, but I couldn't find the right hair products.

I finally cut most of the colored hair off, and now it's time for a change with my hair products. 

I started hearing about sulfate free shampoos and conditioners. After my last coloring I bought Redkin Color Extender Shampoo and Conditioner. I liked the way my hair was looking, but it was expensive. I started going back to the Garnier Fructis products, especially liking the "Damage Eraser Reconstruct Butter". Before long, it was making my hair dry and waxy.

I started going back to sulfate free products. I did some more researching online, and I found the less expensive L'Oreal Sulfate Free products.   

I first went with the EverSleek Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner. I really liked this product, although I would use a lot more to get the clean feeling I wanted.
I still felt bad about using shampoo, so I tried the EverCreme Clensing Conditioner. I read some negative reviews on it when I started the search. I decided to try it, but I was wrong. It smells like wax, and I did not like the way it worked on my hair. It still made it feel dry!
All that drama led me back to DIY. I talked to some friends that told me how baking soda and apple cider vinegar does a pretty good job. I actually tried apple cider vinegar the first time I colored my hair, but the smell was overpowering.

I kept on searching for some measurements to use for the baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse, and I stopped on this post from Mind Body Green. One part baking soda to 3 parts water, and one part apple cider vinegar to 4 parts water. I ended up using 1 3/4 cup of water with 4 tsp of baking soda, and 1 cup (8oz) water with 2oz of vinegar. That was it. 

I was so surprised how the baking soda/water mix actually cleaned my hair! I sprayed half of the small spray bottle of liquid and massaged my scalp. I went to the Ren Fest over the weekend, and I knew there would be some visible dirt/dust residue. When I squeezed some of the water out, I saw the dirt run off. When I rinsed with warm water, my hair felt cleaner!

Now for the apple cider vinegar rinse. Adding it to water cut the strong smell dramatically. I poured it on and rinsed with cold water.  I added some coconut oil to the ends and went to bed. 

This is my hair now. I straightened my bangs because they looked crazy (I'm still learning how to style them). But I only swiped the straighter on them for a few seconds. I'm loving that my hair feels clean, and it doesn't look too dried out. I didn't even put any mousse in it. I'll have to see how long my hair will last until I have to wash again. I heard the oil buildup might increase.

I'm going to continue using the baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse. If I ever felt like using a shampoo/conditioner, I would continue using the L'Oreal EverSleek line. 

Have you tried the no 'poo method? How's it working out for you?



I have not been paid or compensated for any of the products mentioned in this blog post. I am just sharing my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...