Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pattern Review: Sundance Slouch Hat for Crochet

I have been trying to find the perfect hat design for a friend that has dreads. I promised her to make a hat for her around Christmas time 2011, I believe. My family and I were ready to go on vacation to visit my brother, and I threw the project on the back burner. Almost two years later, I found the strength to start searching for a pattern. Luckily for me, I found it on Pinterest.


The Sundance Slouch, designed by Lasmama  (this picture is from the designer). You will need to join the Craftsy website to get a PDF of this FREE pattern. The pattern was simple to follow, at least for an advanced beginner like myself.

The first hat I made for my friend was with a red yarn. The yarn was one of the first skeins of year I received when I started crocheting, Sadly, I didn't keep the label, so I don't remember what the brand was.

I followed the pattern completely, including changing the hook from the J/6.00 MM hook for the brim to the K/6.50 MM hook for the body. Glad to say that my friend really liked it, especially the fact that it was snug on the brim. The hats she bought from the store would eventually loosen up around the edging, defeating the purpose of covering her head. I didn't take a picture of the hat I made her after I completed it. The next time I see her I will try.

I am trying to pattern again, only this time I increased the size of the brim from 8 to 12 single crochet stitches. So far it looks good, but I might have to use the whole skein this time to finish the top.



All in all, this is a great beginners hat pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...