Thursday, February 6, 2014

My thoughts about the Biggest Loser Finale

Rachel Frederickson is named The Biggest Losers season 15 champion on Feb. 4, 2014. - Provided courtesy of Paul Drinkwater / Trae Patton / NBC
(source)
So I've been reading the comments and discussions on the web about the Biggest Loser finale. I never like talking without some facts to back it up. So today I looked at some information.

When I saw Rachel walk out on stage, I was more shocked than the when the others walked out. The first thought that popped in my mind is, "She lost too much for her height". Mind you, I thought she looked much taller than me. People on T.V. and movies tend to look taller. So I looked up her weight, and Wikipedia had some nice charts. I then found out her height is 5'4", and her BMI is 18, only .5 less than the stated "normal BMI".

After all this talk about her losing too much, this is what I want to point out. It's not our problem. I'm sure many people are concerned about her health. Maybe she'll gain more muscle, or she will gain some of her weight back. There's only so much a person can do to help another, even when a person is looking for help.

Yes, I understand that seeing her on T.V. like this may be giving a bad view of the show and on the self esteem of many boys and girls. If you feel this is wrong, then go do something about it. If you are doing something about it, keep at it. If this inspires you, find ways to make a difference. Things we see in life will create a negative or positive reaction.

The first time I found out the preferred weight for my height of 5'6" is 130 lbs, I told myself no way. I don't think I would look good losing all that weight. That's my choice, and this is her choice. Every time I watched, the show gave me the motivation I need to keep trying. In the end, it's a show.

Another great thing I found on the interwebs is this talk with Jillian Michaels the day after the finale. They talk a little about the show at the 7:00 minute mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...