Saturday, January 10, 2015

Make a jewelry organizer: recycling an old photo frame

My first DIY project of the year! I have always wanted to make my own jewelry holder out of a picture frame, but I could never find the right size.

I went to my local thrift store around christmastime, and I found a large 14x20 frame. The glass was removed, and that's what I wanted.

I couldn't figure out what to put as the insert. I have seen metal screens and lace used, but I didn't want to buy something new. So I found an old knit shirt that I was saving. I have tried to unravel it to save the yarn, but because it was machine knit, there was no way.

So I cut the sleeves off, and it was a perfect fit for the frame.


 If I didn't have the backing, I would have stapled the knit onto the frame. But I used the backing and stretched the knit in between. I might staple it later on, but the backing has some metal findings that hold the pieces together.


I had finally made what I always wanted. It was perfect for all of my earrings. I was also thinking of adding metal hooks to hang my necklaces. I'll make an update when I complete it.


Until next time,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...