This crochet button is from the Perfect Purse Pattern on LionBrand.com (You will need to register to see the FREE pattern). I thought this would be a cool project to share with you. You could make it in any color to match any handmade or re-purposed clothing.
Materials: (from the Perfect Purse Pattern)
- Crochet Hook size G
- Lion Brand® Cotton-Ease® (or any basic acrylic yarn of your choosing and color)
- ch = chain
- Rnd = Round
- sc = single crochet
- sl st = slip stitch
- st = stitch
- sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
HOW TO MAKE A CROCHET BUTTON
- Ch 2.
- Rnd 1: Work 3 sc in first ch, join with sl st in first st to form a ring.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in each st around; join with sl st in first st.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1 *sc in next st, 2 sc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1 *sc in next st, sc2tog; rep from * around, join with sl st in first st.
- Fasten off.
- Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Thread tail into large-eyed blunt needle, sew around edge of Button, pull tightly to gather, fasten off. Use remaining tail to sew Button to Purse.
You can also try taking a clear button and crocheting around it with embroidery thread or fingering thread (yarn weight 0, 1, or 2) like this pattern for crochet beads. That way you could use it for heavier items like jackets and sweaters. I might write a pattern for these type of crochet buttons in the future.
I linked this blog entry to: