Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Visor Beanie - Pattern Review

Finally, I feel free to write posts again! Believe me, that crochet block was difficult to overcome. Here's how it all started.

I told a friend on Facebook that I wanted to make a hat for her son in May. I was a part of my Summer Hat Challenge (#1 and #2). She was asking for different yarn, and I was looking for a good brim hat pattern. I didn't realize how much of a struggle that would be! I tried at least 5 different patterns. I knew how to change the radius of the hat, but I couldn't find a good sturdy brim. I even tried to add plastic to one brim to make it secure. Obviously it was a fail.

Browsing on Ravelry, I found this free Visor Beanie pattern from Suzanne Steiger. The website is no longer available, but if you have a Ravelry account you can get the PDF.

I tried the pattern with the original size J crochet hook. I don't know if it was the yarn or my stitches, but the hat came out 22 inches, larger than what was written.

The brim is two pieces crocheted directly on the hat and single crocheted together. I prefer making one full piece instead of having a few pieces and sewing together.

My boyfriend took a selfie wearing the hat. He always loves to try on my projects.

I tried the pattern again with an I hook, making sure I reduced a few rounds in the beginning circle. I stopped increasing at round 5, and I kept going in the round instead of joining. In the light blue section to the end of the hat I did a slip stitch join.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...