Thursday, October 10, 2013

Traditional Chilean Empanadas Recipe


Today I want to share with you a traditional family recipe. I was born in Chile, and for independence day (or any other holiday) families make empanadas. But these are not like other spanish empanadas. It's a very simple recipe with basic ingredients. 
My friend asked me to make these for her son's 1st birthday party on Sunday. I made them once before at her house, in a spur-of-the-moment party. It's a pain when you have to make 60 of them like I did. But they are worth it. 

Ingredients:

  • Bread dough (or something like this empanada dough recipe). If you can make the dough, it tastes even better. I didn't have time, so I used Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.

 
  • Ground beef, cooked the way you like it
  • Hard boiled eggs
  • Raisins


Directions:


  • Cook ground beef, boil eggs and soak raisins (I didn't do this step in this particular recipe, but it would have helped. I'm just making the recipe up as I go!)
  • Open crescent rolls and separate triangles
  • Roll individual triangles into balls, roll them in flour and flatten with rolling pin
  • Fill circle with cooked ground beef, a slice of hard boiled egg, and a few raisins
  • Fold circle in half and press sides. I prepped them a few days in advance, and when it was time to cook I pressed the edges together with a fork.
  • Cook empanadas at 350-375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven when the bread is golden brown.

As you can see, I had some trouble with the dough in the first 3 empanadas. I tried filling them without rolling the dough into a ball. But after I realized I had to roll them and add more flour, they started to take shape. In the end, everyone enjoyed them, and they were gone the minute I brought them in!

I linked this blog entry to:
Ladies Only Blog Share  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...